Pork Hamonado is a Filipino dish that involves cooking the meat in pineapple juice.For this Pork Hamonado recipe I used pork belly.What I like about this recipe is it is fairly simple and easy. The hardest part, for me at least, was the waiting while the meat is cooking which might take some time to get that tender melt-in-your-mouth meat, but it was definitely worth it!
- 500 g Pork belly, cut into 2 inch long and about ¾ inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- a dash of ground pepper
- Place the pork belly slices in a pot or deep pan.
- Mix all the rest of ingredients in a bowl until well blended and salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Pour the liquid mixture to the pork belly and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Once it starts to boil, lower down the heat to medium-low and cover with lid then let it simmer for 40-50 minutes or so or until the meat and fat quite literally melts in your mouth. By then, the liquids would have been reduced to a thick sauce.
- Serve while hot with steamed rice.