A gluten–free recipe for chocolate a meringue cookies: crisp on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside.
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a double boiler melt your chocolate stirring until smooth ( If you don’t have a double boiler a pot of hot water with a metal bowl over top will work just as well )
- In a large bowl, mix together your egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla and salt and beat until it forms soft peaks when you lift the beaters. Add in the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Pour in your melted chocolate and chocolate chips and fold with a spatula until you have a batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter about 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Cookies will look dry on the surface but be gooey inside. Cool for a few minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.