Grill Cupcakes – Recipe
Moist chocolate cupcakes topped with a thick fudgy chocolate frosting and decorated to look like a grill.
When it comes to cupcake decorating you don’t have to be an artist to make something cute! These cupcakes can be made in a few simple steps, with almost no skill. If I can do it anyone can!
These would be great for Father’s Day, or Dad’s Birthday. Yes Cupcakes can be manly!! They’d also be super cute for a picnic or neighborhood BBQ.
Basic Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¾ Cup Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Buttermilk (or ½ Cup of Milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar).
- ½ Cup Butter, Softened
- 4 Ounces Unsweetened Chocolate, Roughly Chopped
- 3¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- Coarse White Sugar
- Hot Tamales
- Black Decorating Gel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk your dry ingredients together (cocoa powder, flour, baking soda/powder, and salt) just until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix sugars, eggs, oil, and vanilla, and buttermilk. Gradually add dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Ladle batter into lined pan (fill around ½ way full). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave for 2-3 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Once melted add vanilla and milk. Gradually stir in powdered sugar.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes. Dust with sugar. Draw horizontal lines using the decorating gel.
- Top with 2-3 hot tamales. Draw additional grill marks if desired.