Savoury mug muffins are a great low-carb option when you don’t have time to cook. You can prepare all the ingredients ahead – crisped up bacon, roasted mushrooms and diced cheese – and whip up this keto meal in less than 5 minutes. If you don’t have a microwave, I included some tips for baking the muffins in a conventional oven. For more quick & easy recipes like this one, check out my sweet & savoury low-carb mug cakes.
Are microwaves safe?
Contrary to common beliefs, most studies show that microwaves don’t decrease the nutritional value of foods. Cooking or reheating your food in a microwave can, in fact, preserve more nutrients than other cooking methods. Another myth is that microwaves emit harmful radiation. Microwaves produce non-ionising radiation, which is the same type of radiation produced by toasters, TV, or even cell phones.
Hands-on10 minutesOverall15 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
Total Carbs 8.9 grams
Fiber 6.5 grams
Net Carbs 2.4 grams
Protein 18.7 grams
Fat 37.2 grams
of which Saturated 13.6 grams
Energy (calories) 434 kcal
Magnesium 124 mg (31% RDA)
Potassium 399 mg (20% EMR)
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2%), protein (18%), fat (80%).
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
Basic savoury mug muffin:
. ¼ cup almond flour (25 g / 0.9 oz)
. ¼ cup flaxmeal (38 g / 1.3 oz)
. ¼ tsp baking soda
. 1 large egg, free-range or organic
. 2 tbsp cream or coconut milk (30 ml/ 1 fl oz)
. 2 tbsp water
. pinch salt (I like pink Himalayan)
. 4 small or 2 regular slices crisped up bacon (32 g/ 1.1 oz)
. ¼ cup sliced mushrooms (25 g/ 0.9 oz)
. ½ cup diced cheddar cheese (33 g/ 1.2 oz)
. 1 tbsp freshly chopped basil or parsley
1. In a pan, fry the bacon slices. Once crisped up, place on a plate, let them cool down and then crumble into small pieces.
2. Pour the bacon grease – apart from 1 tablespoon – in a jar and reserve for cooking, or discard. Slice the mushrooms, add to the pan and roast them over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Place all the dry ingredients in a small bowl and combine well.
4. Add the egg, cream, water and mix well using a fork.
5. Add the crumbled bacon and roasted mushrooms and combine well.
6. Divide the dough between 2 mugs or ramekins and add diced cheddar and chopped basil. Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. When done, let it sit for 5 minutes.
Cooking in the oven: If you don’t have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
Crisping up the bacon: Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay the bacon strips out flat on the baking paper, leaving space so they don’t overlap. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. The time depends on the thickness of the bacon slices. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down