This is one of the best, easiest, and tastiest vegetarian chili recipes I’ve ever tasted. Whenever I make it, my friends devour it. Best eaten with tortilla chips, Cheddar cheese, guacamole, and sour cream. What a treat! The recipe creator’s name is Doc Meromorphic. He is a good friend of my family.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 4 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions; cook and stir until they start to become soft. Add the green peppers, red peppers, garlic and tofu; cook and stir until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, the whole process should take about 10 minutes.
- Pour the black beans into the slow cooker and set to Low. Stir in the vegetables and tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, vinegar and hot pepper sauce. Stir gently and cover. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.