Old-Fashioned Christmas Caramels – Recipe
Old-Fashioned Christmas Caramels a sweet treat at Christmas time. These morsels are a sweet homemade candy that will add a delicious bite to your holiday cookie plate. They are made with dark and light corn syrup, sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk. They must be cooked on the stove top until soft ball stage level on a candy thermometer.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butter softened or melted
Mix together the dark corn syrup, the light corn syrup, and sugar. Boil mixture lightly for 15 minutes. I love how when I stirred it this time the darker syrup made a heart shape!!
- Add 1 cup of butter. The butter will mix in better if already softened or melted rather than straight from the fridge. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir. The mixture is cooked over low heat until the soft ball stage on the candy thermometer.
- While waiting for the caramels to reach the soft ball stage on the thermometer, cut wax paper in five by five inch squares. Make a big stack of them.
- Once the mixture has reached the soft ball stage pour the caramel mixture into a shortening greased cookie sheet. Set the caramels cookie sheet in a cool place to harden. Then once they are solidified, score the caramels into 1/2″ by 1 1/2″ rectangles. I use a large cookie sheet and make 10 cuts across the width and 15 across the length.
- Pry caramel rectangles up with a butter knife and scoop them out. A butter knife or a spoon work well to do this step.
- Plop the caramel onto the wax paper square. Fold in one side, then the other and twist both ends.
- Completed! Makes about 150-176 caramels depending on how it is cut.
Store these Old-Fashioned Christmas Caramels in the refrigerator and enjoy right from the fridge or set out for awhile to soften them a bit. They are good either way. This recipe makes many caramels so there are plenty to share and plenty to last the whole season. These caramels are a fun addition to a holiday treat plate. Enjoy!