Pharmaceutical drugs may not be your only path to pain relief. Natural pain treatments — like herbal medicine, in which parts of a plant are used medicinally to treat health problems — is an increasingly popular way to manage pain as well.
Though research on herbal remedies is still in its early phases, many herbs are thought to provide pain management and decrease inflammation.
Pain Relief Tea Recipe
- 40 oz filtered clean water (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced ginger smashed with the back of a wooden spoon to expose flesh
- 1 Tbl + 1 tsp Powdered Turmeric (organic high quality)
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbl Coconut oil or Ghee
- 2 Tbl Raw Honey
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Pour the water into a large sauce pan.
- Add the ginger to the water. Bring to a boil for 20 minutes then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the spices and ghee/coconut oil.
- Whisk to combine the spices.
- Squeeze juice from lemon.
- Remove from the heat. (This can be left overnight to infuse further with the ginger too)
- Strain into mugs and stir in raw honey
- Keep stirring while drinking this because the spices will settle to the bottom.
If you need a quick single serving:
- Mix 1 heaping tsp of turmeric, pinch of cayene, three turns of black pepper, 1/2 tsp powdered ginger (optional but recommended) and pour hot water over while whisking to combine with 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil and 2 tsp raw honey to help absorb the spices and drink immediately.